Saturday, April 19, 2014

Week Fifteen Blog Post

The book I am Malala was truly an inspiring book for me to read. Education has always been something that is extremely important to me. It has never been a question of whether or not I would go to college, but where I would go to college. After reading this book I felt a great sense of gratitude for the opportunities and privileges that have been extended to me in my educational experience. It is astounding to me how the Taliban came into Malala's village and attempted to wipe out all opportunities for women to receive even a basic education. Education should be available to everyone regardless of his or her's gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or citizenship.
I was so impressed by Malala's courage and determination to fight for education and to defend the rights of all young girls and boys to an education. I loved that even a girl as young as Malala could make such a huge impact on the world. It is really just a small indication of how great the potential of women really is. One thing that I found so inspiring about this story was how the Taliban saw Malala as a threat and attempted to take her life, but from that attack Malala only became stronger and more rooted in her convictions to fight the Taliban. It was an example to me that no matter how hard the adversaries in my life try to put me down, I have the potential to come back even stronger and to increase my ability to succeed. I think Malala is an excellent example to girls and women of all ages and walks of life. Malala expertly demonstrates courage, independence and strength, which is something that I think girls and women everywhere need to see. I think sometimes it is difficult to find a female role model in today's society that is relatable and powerful enough to make a difference in a young woman life. I mentioned before in our classes group discussion that I had read this book with my fifteen year old sister, who didn't particularly like attending school. After we read the book my sister said that she was beginning to understand why education was so important and that she found Malala to be a very strong example of what she should strive towards in her life. 

I appreciate this book for illustrating how cultures all over the world are different and can seem strange to others who cannot relate, but ultimately the desire to know and learn is found in every culture. I believe this is one reason why all of us must stand up and fight for everyone to be given an opportunity to receive an education. Knowledge is a great power and everyone should have access to it. Those who do not have access to an education cannot protect themselves or decide for themselves what they know to be true. It is crucial that girls everywhere understand how important it is to gain an education. Malala continues to fight for this cause, and after reading this book I am more dedicated to supporting her efforts than ever before. I loved every aspect about this book, though at times it was frustrating and horrifying to read about the gender related violence that was occurring in Malala's village, it was further proof for me that those issue are relevant and must be stopped. I will always fight for my right to an education, and I will continue to fight for the rights of others to gain theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment